Woodbridge Scores a Win in Rival Powderpuff Game

Glenn Lottman

The Powderpuff team smiles as they come fresh off of a victory against rival Colonia. Both teams put in their best effort, but the Lady Barrons fought hard and took home the win.

Madison Carral, Editor

The annual Woodbridge vs. Colonia Powderpuff Game took place at Colonia High School on October 29th. After an eventful match, the Lady Barrons took back the trophy with a 21-7 victory.

Every fall season, rival schools Woodbridge High and Colonia High face off in a single game of flag football with the school’s best female athletes to fight for the coveted trophy and a year’s worth of bragging rights. Last year the Lady Barrons faced a tough loss at home, so it was pertinent for them to win back the title from CHS.

“After we lost last year we wanted to be sure we had more communication during this year’s game,” says Taylor Barto, senior at Woodbridge and the team’s main quarterback. “This year we expected good competition and we sure got it, but we held our own and came out on top with the trophy.”

The Woodbridge team sure did hold their own against Colonia’s powerful players, but it wasn’t as easy as said. “The biggest issue was us being called out for tackling,” said junior and defensive linebacker Anita Hodge. “We had a lot of penalties.”

Aside from the rough lows of the match, the girls definitely had joyful highs. Playing this game not only brought the schools together, but the team together as well. For many of the Barrons participating, the Powderpuff turned the girls from just classmates into newfound friends.

“After each touchdown or play you could feel the motivating energy between the girls on the field. Everyone was cheering each other on and motivating the girls to do their best,” says Taylor.

Through a long, enjoyable fight, Woodbridge came out on top with 21 points by three touchdowns versus Colonia’s seven points by one. “The win felt great,” says senior Coach Charles Sulse. “I was very happy for not only the girls on the team, but everyone from Woodbridge who helped make the game possible.”

Woodbridge looks to keep the trophy where it should be, far from the walls of Colonia High. Players from this year encourage girls to join in on the 2019 game and to remember to “enjoy yourself” and defend the Barron’s title!