Girls’ Tennis Grows Through Hard Luck Season

Meaghan Motz, Reporter

After a hard fought season, the Woodbridge Lady Barrons tennis team finished their year with a 6-12 record while improving vastly every game.

Coach Cuevas is on her fourth year as the head coach of the tennis team. This year, there was tough competition throughout the season.

“In the white division, teams were tough. Anyone could beat any team on any given day so we always had to show up and compete. There wasn’t (sic) any ‘easy’ matches. Also, we had a lot of players in new positions so they had to gain experience there fast,” Cuevas said.

The tough competition from the opposing schools did nothing but make the team better as a whole. Coach Cuevas said, “We finished strong and competed [in] every match. We lost tough battles going into 3rd sets but we also won in tiebreakers. We came together as a team and we played as a team”  

The Barrons were led by the All White Division junior, Brianna Davis. Brianna has been a part of the tennis team for three years. She created a great bond with all of her teammates throughout the whole season.

“My favorite part of the season was spending time with everyone on the team. We all became so close over the course of the season, and I’m very thankful for that,” said Davis.

Brianna created a bond with senior, Soumia Marcali. A two-year varsity player, Marcali regrets not playing until her junior year. “Playing my last year made me regret not starting my freshman year because I’ve grown so much with the team, and I will miss everyone on it.”

Both Davis and Marcali have a great love for not only the game, but the great connection they had with their teammates, and both intend to play tennis after high school.

The Lady Barrons tennis team will miss Soumia Marcali, as she had a great high school tennis career. The Lady Barrons tennis team are ready to start working for the 2019 season.