Women’s Empowerment Club Raising Awareness for Mental Health

Señora Ramos

Señora Ramos and student attending the walk that took place at Seaside Park in Ocean County

Alisen Luis, Reporter

In late September of 2019, Women’s Empowerment Club has announced that they will be raising awareness about mental health issues. 

The Women’s Empowerment club is currently working on a fundraiser through a Foundation called the National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI) that helps raises money for mental illness. The club sets up donation stands during lunch and home football games. There was also a walk for mental health at the boardwalk at Seaside Park in Ocean County. A student name Jacqueline Stanojlovic is one of the student officers who came up with the idea of participating in the walk. 

Señora Ramos is a Spanish teacher that teaches Spanish 2, 3, 4, and AP classes for the last 35 years. It is her second year as the adviser of the Women’s Empowerment Club. The club was formed last school year by a senior named Mary Nasr. Mary wanted to form a club where girls should go to the meetings and discuss issues concerning women and advise solutions. The club meets on Thursday every two weeks in room D228 after school.

In addition to this, the club has a ‘remind me’ number in which anyone can talk and bring up subjects that they want to discuss as well as concerns on how to help women around them. They also “presently discussing fundraising ideas and planning to do ‘care packages’ for women’s shelter.” says Señora Ramos.

“The club to me means a lot because sometimes girls want to discuss sensitive issues and get advice from people their own age where no one judges.” said Señora Ramos.

Bitha Beji is a senior at Woodbridge High School and is the President of the Women’s Empowerment Club. She participated in the bake sales and other fundraisers last year but this year. Bitha officially became a member of the club.

Bitha joined the club because she “always loved talking about women’s issues and finding solutions for them especially nowadays and I wanted to find a way to help.” Bitha decided to become the president  because she “could really lead the group towards the best ways they can make an impact for different foundations and charities but feel like everyone in the club contributes to making a difference.”  

Currently, there are 20 members attending the club. If students are interested in joining,  Señora Ramos and Bitha Beji welcomes everyone to join the club and are open to new ideas. 

If you are interested to help the club to raise money, you may donate with the link provide below.

https://www.namiwalks.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=282397