Volunteering Opportunities Available for Students

by Eamonn Gonzalez

In recent years, volunteering has become less frequent with younger generations in Woodbridge High School. Lately, the river of candidates to choose from has begun to trickle dry at many important public services such as at hospitals or EMS, or volunteering for charity organizations like David’s Touch.

“Volunteering is the cornerstone of becoming an adult,” said Mr. Kane, the chairperson of the Guidance Department at Woodbridge High School. “[Volunteering] wasn’t openly offered to my peers when I was in high school, but looking back on it, I wish it was.” He said that his experiences feeding the homeless “reached his heart” and “opened his mind.”

Ms. Sacco and Ms. Clarke run the Woodbridge High School Interact Club, whose main goal is to assist in small projects around the town, whether that means collecting food for shelters or donating toys for children in hospitals. They like to think of their work as a “hat tip to society.”

They said, “A lot of kids just figure someone else will do it. ‘I don’t have to do it, the other guy can get it.’ What they aren’t understanding is, there isn’t another guy anymore.”

With the “other guy” gone, maybe it’s time students help out.

Students interested in volunteering can seek out available opportunities by speaking with their guidance counselor. Students are encouraged to schedule an appointment in homeroom, or before or after school.