Mr. Jago Explains Why Students Should Take AP Seminar Course

Meaghan Motz, Senior Editor

Mr. Jago teaches the AP Seminar course at Woodbridge High School. This class is offered full year on an A/B schedule. 

The Barron Perspective:How long have you been teaching the AP Seminar class?
Mr. Jago: This is the second year of the AP Capstone program.

BP:How long has this class been offered at the high school?
MJ:The class was first offered last year.

BP:What semester is AP Seminar offered in?
MJ: The class is a full year A/B course.

BP:How many students do you usually have per semester for this class?
MJ: The classes are small, but we are looking for more like-minded students to enroll in the program.

BP:Why do you think students should choose to take AP Seminar?
MJ: This course is a great AP course that will teach you skills well beyond the high school classroom. It is also an exclusive group to belong to, with the program only being offered in 1,500 schools worldwide.

BP: What will students learn in this class?
MJ: Students learn different techniques in research and research writing. Students individually research and write on their findings in a very rewarding experience.

BP:What do you enjoy about teaching this course?
MJ: I love watching the students achieve what they set out to achieve. The class is very individualistic, so watching students achieve their goals on an individual level makes me very happy.

BP:Are there any prerequisites required to take this elective?
MJ: There are no prerequisites for the AP Capstone program, but the program is open to 10th grade and above.

BP: What students would gain the most from this course?
MJ: Students will gain a better understanding of research and research writing, as well as learn to collaborate with fellow students like they would in a college classroom setting.

BP: How will AP Seminar benefit students now and in the future?
MJ: Students planning to dive into AP courses and college after high school would benefit greatly from this course. This course gives a realistic experience of a college classroom, with students learning techniques necessary to be successful in a college setting and beyond.

BP: Anything else you would like to add?
MJ: AP Capstone is an elite opportunity to add to your college resumes. Getting an AP Diploma will give you a different aspect of your educational career, one that is challenging and rewarding in the end.

Students interested in AP Capstone should contact Mr. Jago with any questions at: [email protected]