• Spring Musical Sweeney Todd Wins Best Overall Production at the Carteret Marquee Awards

Barrons “Come Home” to New Stadium

mccormac ribbon cutting
Mayor McCormack prepares to cut the ribbon to the new Nicholas A. Priscoe stadium

by Sarah Kulick and Katia Gomez

October 31st, 2014 was the official opening of Woodbridge High School’s newly built stadium, and spectators poured into the property to witness the Barrons take on the St. Joseph’s High School Falcons in what will be remembered as an exhilarating Homecoming event.

Before the game, Mayor McCormac officially opened the stadium in a ribbon cutting ceremony. The Mayor was joined by Superintendent Zega, Principal Lottmann, Vice Principals Connelly and Hasan, Athletic Director Mr. Ward, members of the Board of Education and Town Council, and members of the Priscoe family.

“We want what is best for our student athletes and coaches,” said Mr. Ward. “The new stadium will definitely fit more people.”

The new stadium features a larger press box, new sound system, and boasts its own WiFi network. Visitors will also appreciate the additional number of available public restrooms, and, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the structure is now handicap accessible.

Construction of the combined grandstand/field house was the outcome of a collaboration between the Mayor and the superintendent, and began with the demolition of the old Nicholas A. Priscoe Stadium on March 17th, 2014. The stadium will also bear Priscoe’s name.

In honor of the rededication, every teacher wore a WHS Football T-shirt on Halloween, graciously donated by Knot Just Bagels on Main Street in Woodbridge.

Originally an old racetrack called Woodbridge Speedway, the first grandstand on the grounds, simple called “The Stadium,” was built in 1948. It was not until the 1970’s when the concrete structure was dedicated to Priscoe, a former head football coach and Athletic Director at WHS.

Appropriately, the Barrons gave their spectators something to smile about, topping the Falcons 14-7 in their first official home game in the new stadium, and kicking off what will hopefully be a tradition of winning for Woodbridge Athletics for years to come in their new home.