Senior Awarded Woodbridge Township Volunteer Appreciation Award

Hannah+Holness

Ryan Fijol

Senior Hannah Holness helps her community to become a better place.

Michael Thomas, Editor

Recognizing residents who give back to their communities, Woodbridge gives out “Volunteer Appreciation Awards” to people with a voluntaristic spirit, one recipient is Barron Hannah Holness.

“It is humbling to be recognized for this award…” said Holness. “I was honored to be recognized.”

Holness began to volunteer and give back to her community in her youth, with her parents instilling those values. “My parents were instrumental in highlighting the importance of being an asset to one’s community,” she said.

Activities Holness partook in her younger years ranged from contributing to donation drives to getting involved with activities at the Fords Branch Library. When Holness entered the sixth grade, she decided to give back to the adformetined Fords Branch Library by becoming a volunteer at the government funded erection.

Some of her roles include giving book recommendations, locating books, and handing out prizes to the little kids who frequent the library.

When libraries were closed due to COVID-19 regulations, Holness took the initiative to reach out to the library to see if there was anything she could do to help. Holness said she ended up putting together craft bags that people can do in their residencies.

In Woodbridge High School, Holness continues her volunteerism by becoming a Freshman Mentor and being a photographer for the school’s yearbook, The Barronet.

Chief among Holness’s efforts at WHS is founding the Letters For Rose club, which she has been advocating for since last school year as WHS transitioned from all virtual to hybrid schedules (Barron Perspective) (NJ.com).

Letters For Rose is a nationally recognized community service organization with the goal to  combat senior loneliness brought forth by COVID-19 prevention measures by sending them writs and illustrations, according to their websites about page and Ms. Holness. 

Holness recommends that others should volunteer within their communities. “There is nothing more fulfilling than knowing that you are making a difference.”

Letters For Rose meets Wendesays after school. If you are interested in joining and or writing letters and or illustrating for the club, join the clubs Google Classroom (classroom code 7qdpnam) and or Remind (code kc8ab7).

To view the award ceremony in which Holness and others were awarded, please see Woodbridge Township’s television network YouTube page, “WoodbridgeTV” and their video entitled “Woodbridge Volunteer Appreciation Awards | October 17, 2021.