Student Paralyzed Due to Smith’s Cookies

kreusch
Mr. Smith proudly displays his fresh batch of cookies before swiftly hiding them from those planning to swipe without a ticket. (Photo: Brandon Kreusch)

By Brandon Kreusch

Calculus teacher Mr. Smith is famous at Woodbridge High School for his baked goods, especially his chocolate chip cookies. However, Mr. Smith recently decided to give up baking in order to devote more time to his newly born baby girl.

The decision to hang up his baking apron for good was received with outrage throughout Woodbridge High School. In order to pacify the angry mob, the superstar baker has decided to make one last batch of cookies.

“I think that by making this last batch of cookies, the students and faculty will relax and finally come to terms with the fact that I will no longer be baking,” explained Mr. Smith.

Twelve golden tickets were subsequently hidden around the school by the math teacher, and whoever is lucky enough to find a ticket will be rewarded with a chocolate chip cookie. “This is the only fair way, I think, to decide who gets to have a cookie. Everybody has an equal chance of finding a ticket,” said Mr. Smith.

Freshman Jacob Kreusch is said to have discovered the first ticket hidden inside a history textbook. Jacob, however, never made it to Mr. Smith to exchange his ticket for a cookie.

Witnesses report seeing a group of no less than thirty people descend upon the freshman while he was walking across the courtyard. Junior Matthew Corcoran was an eyewitness to the trauma. “Teachers, kids, janitors, even Mr. Lotman jumped him,” he said with fear evident in his eyes. “They kicked and punched and bit him. They just wouldn’t stop, even when he was on the ground.”

Senior Niyam Shah, who also witnessed the attack, said, “After they were done beating him up, I guess they couldn’t find the ticket, so they just left.” Mr. Lotman refused to comment on accusations of his involvement in the attack.

Jacob Kreusch suffered a collapsed lung, four broken ribs, a cracked collarbone, fractures in both arms and one femur, massive lacerations, copious amounts of internal bleeding, a shattered eye socket, and worst of all, a complete severe of his C7 vertebrae, which paralyzed him from the neck down. Jacob remains in critical condition at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital.

Dr. Archer, Jacob’s primary physician, says it is unclear whether he will survive. “Even if he does pull through, he will certainly never walk again,” Dr. Archer said.

Mr. Smith, who feels partly responsible for the incident, said, “I feel absolutely terrible. I’ll certainly bake a cookie for Jacob just as soon as he starts to feel better.”

However, Dr. Archer called eating the cookie “impossible,” and said, “Jacob will need to eat through a tube for the rest of his life–assuming he survives, of course.”

Naturally, the entire school is now faced with two questions that must be answered: where are the other eleven tickets? And what happened to the ticket that Jacob had?

The attack hasn’t seemed to deter anyone from searching for the tickets. In fact, the search has even intensified. “If a freshman was able to find a ticket, it’s only a matter of time before the rest are found,” claimed a flustered Mr. Jago, who was busy looking high and low–but mostly low–for a ticket.

Mr. Smith has promised that he will not end the search. “I can’t end the contest now,” he said. “I have my livelihood and family to think about. We’ll all just have to hope that it will end quickly.” The search continues for the twelve golden tickets and the last of Mr. Smith’s cookies.