Barron Steppers Step Up

Barrons+Steppers

Michael Thomas

The Barrons Steppers first meeting is planned for Oct. 4th in room 139 at 2:30. All are welcome to attend.

Michael Thomas, Senior Editor

With aspirations to become a full-fledged team, Woodbridge High School will be reintroduced to step, “the creation of sound and rhythm made with your body”, according to founder Lauren Carter.

Carter explained the roots of step dancing come from African culture. Originally, slaves used the language to communicate without a slave master understanding their slave-to-slave communications. Over time, stepping became a “general” cultural tradition through preservation efforts.

Carter, the President of the Black Student Union, first encountered step during her time in Quibbletown Middle School in Piscataway. While a member of the school’s dance club, her group covered stepping for a project. During this time, she quickly learned the style and ended up “loving it”.

This experience left her wanting more, but WHS didn’t have a team to fulfill her desires. Evidently, the school had a step team in years past, but interest dimmed. Though, after Carter heard from multiple people about a shared desire for a team, she acted.

With the support of the BSU advisor Ms. Cruz, she was able to resurrect step at WHS with The Barron Steppers. For this and her past experience, Carter became captain.

As of now, it’s just that, a club. Though, in the coming school years, a goal is to face off against other schools. In the meantime, Carter said performances are to be at school basketball games and other events.

Before anything, the club will have multiple practices, starting October 4th at 2:30 P.M. in room #139 (the Dance Room). Practices contain fast-paced learning, with the first few starting with basic rhythms, expanded upon in the future.

While Carter points out that step is traditionally related to African American culture, she emphasized that “everyone” is welcome to join and participate in club activities.

For questions, comments, and concerns regarding The Barron Steppers, Carter directs people to herself, Ms. Cruz’s door (where a QR code regarding more information is located), Ms. Cruz herself, the club’s Instagram page (@thebarronsteppers), and the club’s Google Classroom (class code: mc3i7dy).