Track Sprints Towards Season Goals

by Carly Kjersgaard

At this point in the season, many of the spring sport teams at Woodbridge High School have made it into their respective county and state finals, but the spring track team is notorious for their consecutive wins in the county tournament. Throughout their preseason practices and early meets, the team and their coaches have prepared for a successful, competitive stretch.

As part of their preparation, competitors in the discus and javelin have learned new techniques that will help their scores in the future, giving them more opportunities to advance in key meets before the county and state tournaments. “We’ve worked really hard in preseason through practices, said senior captain Adelina Rosano. “We want to be able to advance in counties and do our best in the big meets.”

Coach Jacovinich, who is new to the track team’s coaching staff, is ready to see the team in action. “We’re gonna be pretty good. I’m ready.” The coaches have seen numerous athletes from the track team advance in individual county and state events, and they are looking to continue that trend.

Senior thrower David McDevitt and his teammates intend to break personal records in their events, improving their stats, as well as the team’s. “I’m hoping to break my PR,” McDevitt said, “and make sure I make it into counties and even states. We’ll see, it’s a long ways away.”

With multiple events in running, jumping, and throwing, the team feels their odds of winning big this season are high. “I have a feeling someone will get it done. Track always does,” Rosano said. “Whether it’s throwing far or running fast, we accomplish everything as a team and take home the win.”