Boys Basketball Drives Into New Season

andersonnnnnnnnnn

Micah Eason goes up for a lay-up against John F Kennedy High.

Josh Ruck, Editor

The Woodbridge High School boy’s basketball team looks to continue their solid 7 and 3 start to the season and continue rolling throughout the season and beyond.

Head coach Jonathan Toczynski in his second year coaching the boys team and looks to build off of last season. Toczynski says, “I want us to improve from last year and for players to hold themselves and each other accountable.” The Barrons opened up the season with solid wins over Perth Amboy, Edison, and Sayreville.

Before his time at Woodbridge, Coach Toczynski coached for seven years and kept the same message to all his teams. “Joy, Care and Trust and what they look like, sound like and feel like,” he added. Coach tries to always preach a positive message and keep a good relationship with his players. 

Toczynski is trying to build a long-term successful program and he believes it “begins with building great relationships so players are seen as people and not just an X or an O on a clipboard. Only then can you hold players to very high standards.” 

Junior Point guard Micah Eason’s  favorite thing about playing basketball is, “making bonds and winning with his team.” Eason also adds that he has “been working everyday in the gym and lifting to be able to take bumps from players, and just watched the game to learn more.”

Senior Guard Kendall Pala says, “…this year were a more experienced team with better chemistry versus last year it was a brand new group and brand new coach. Were more connected now.”

Coach Toczynski has big goals for the season including “finishing above .500 and to win the GMC White division.” Toczynski also adds “ We would love to have more students come out to out games! Follow our journey this season on socials @whsbarronbball.”  

To read more about Barrons sports, go to Perspectives Sports page archive.