Boys’ Soccer Makes Strides

by Brittany Sa

Mr. Clarke, the head coach of the Boys’ Soccer program, has coached at Woodbridge High School for six years, three as head coach, while also teaching physical education and health. Alongside assistant coaches Mr. Kaelber and Mr. Jago, he has high expectations for this season. Coach Clarke, as he is known throughout the building, sat down with The Barron Perspective to discuss his expectations for this season.

Barron Perspective: How do you think the season is going so far?
Coach Clarke: So far, it’s going good. We’re six wins and four losses [Editor’s note: the team’s record, as of October 1st, was six wins, five losses, and one tie], however we’re playing everyone a second time, so we’re hoping we avenge the losses and turn them into wins.

BP: What are some strengths your team possesses?
CC: Energy levels and fitness level are big. How we play in the first minute is how we’ll play at the 80th minute, and that’s credit to the players because they’ve been working very hard.

BP: Does your team have a team motto or any rituals before a game?
CC: Not really. We talk about having momentum: keep it going for as long as we can. If we hit a barrier, you get back up and go again. So, no real motto, just momentum and having the M.O.

BP: What is your key to a successful season?
CC: The last two years we’ve struggled, so this summer we’ve changed what we’ve done a little bit and we are focusing on fitness and making sure the boys are in great shape. They play two to three games a week—which is a lot for a high school student—so it’s important that their fitness levels are high and with good energy. This is what we’ve been focusing on this year, but they also need to [show] some technical skills.

BP: What qualities do you look for in a captain? Who are your captains?
CC: My captains are Connor Penrod and Michael Magera, who are both seniors. I look for someone who would be a good example for the incoming freshmen, and the rest of the players in the program. It has to be someone who plays the right way, with their heart on their sleeve and shows good leadership qualities, as well as be a role model in school with good grades.

BP: Are there any encouraging words you would like to say to your players?
CC: They already know we have a lot of young talented freshmen coming in, and sophomores, and we have more coming in than we know about. So the future is bright and the message is those that work the hardest and practice with good fitness levels are going to move up immediately.

BP: Would you like to add anything else?
CC: [I’d] like to thank all the administration for their efforts and support, and The Barron Perspective for doing a great job promoting our sport teams.