What is AI?

Getty Images/iStockphoto
AI, Machine learning, Hands of robot and human touching on big data network connection background, Science and artificial intelligence technology, innovation and futuristic.

As almost everyone has seen, AI, artificial intelligence, is a topic being discussed more and more heavily as people discover new ways it can improve our everyday lives, but also cause harm to us and society. Faculty and students at WHS have their own varied knowledge and opinions on the topic but essentially artificial intelligence is the simulation of human intelligence processes by machines, especially computer systems. It is the science of making robots that can think like humans, a process of perfecting the ability of a machine to perform the cognitive functions we associate with human minds. The recent controversy related to AI is due to the fear that AI could one day outperform humans.

I spoke with different staff members and students at our school about their knowledge and opinion of AI and each person had something different to share. 

I heard from the Graphic Design teacher Ms. Locascio who said, “It’s a resource tool that a lot of people use to kind of develop the work without them having to put in the hard work to do it.”

She shined light on a more positive aspect of AI but also warned about one of the ways AI has affected the art world by saying, “Now with the world of AI you can just type in ‘Can you put me in a space where there’s a forest in the background and change this, this, and this,’ and AI can just do it for you which concerns the career of graphic design.”

There are pros and cons to the use and development of AI. There are many concerns about AI taking over jobs but also people advocating for AI because of its ability to eliminate bias and save time. In conclusion, AI has the potential to revolutionize our world, but we must carefully navigate its development to ensure a bright and balanced future.