Sophomore Awarded Woodbridge Township Volunteer Appreciation Award

Kevin+Modeszto

Lauren Carter

Sophomore Kevin Modeszto, recipient of the Woodbridge Township Volunteer Appreciation Awards

Michael Thomas, Editor

Woodbridge awarded Sophomore Kevin Modeszto their Volunteer Appreciation Award for his voluntaristic contributions towards his community, but unlike most (like Senior Hannah Holness), Modesto had a “unique” path to recognition.

Modeszto found his footing in community activity during his tenure at one of his alma maters, the Avenel Middle School, where, as a sixth grader, he was seeking a club to join. Through a list of club offerings, he found the “Community Service Club” to be intriguing enough to try and give it a shot.

By the end of the school year, Modeszto was an officer of the club.

After another year, he achieved the role of co-vice president, a role which afforded him the ability to help the clubs advisor to select well suited people for the roles of club officers.

For a span of about two years, Modeszto traversed homeroom to homeroom everyday with any new announcements the club may have had and recruited new members to the club.

Modeszto points to the club’s advisor, Ms. Anan, for his success in his efforts of giving back to his community, “None of this would have been possible without you.”

This “unique” factor starts when he was made aware of his accomplishment, in the Late Winter/Early Spring of 2020.

Modeszto was called down to the office of AMS and told that he had been awarded the Volunteer Appreciation Award and that the ceremony for him and the other recipients would be taking place over spring break, “then Covid happened…”

Modeszto had to wait over a year’s worth of time to be officially awarded, but recalls it being one of the greatest moments of his life.

Recommending people to get involved with their school and community affairs, Modeszto said “You get a certain positive feeling when you do people good, and you want to do it more.”

Summarized, Modeszto said “In conclusion, I just want to thank the community for their nomination and their graciousness. Thank you!”

To view the award ceremony in which Modeszto and others were awarded, please see Woodbridge Townships television network YouTube page, “WoodbridgeTV” and there video entitled “Woodbridge Volunteer Appreciation Awards | October 17, 2021.