Interact Club Restarts for New Year

by Eamonn Gonzalez

The Barron Perspective is committed to providing students with news and information on all of Woodbridge High School’s extracurricular activities. This section is dedicated to the school’s clubs and activities that are not sports-related. In this installment, The Barron Perspective discusses the Interact Club with one of its new advisors.

The Interact Club has been an extracurricular activity at Woodbridge High School for more than ten years and, up until this year, was advised by Ms. Clarke and Ms. Sacco. This year’s advisors are Ms. Montes and Ms. Moody. The club is designed to help students gain volunteer hours and get involved in their community by engaging in opportunities around town. Meetings are held every other week on Wednesdays in room 102.

Barron Perspective: What charities and events does the Interact Club get involved with?
Ms. Moody: We engage in quite a few volunteer opportunities around town, but some of our main events include David’s Touch, Paul’s Peace, Paint the Town Purple, and Relay for Life.

BP: Any particular reason you picked these events?
MM: Well, David’s Touch involves students from our school and, obviously, we want to do as much as we can to support fellow students and their families, so that really is near and dear to us. As for Paul’s Peace, it is near and dear to me because that is my brother’s organization. Relay for Life has been a part of Interact Club for as long as I can remember. Interact and tradition go hand in hand for the events.

BP: How many students are active members?
MM: Gosh, wow. I think we had at our first meeting of the year, which was last week, I would say about 15-20 students. There was an Ecology meeting that day, but we are pretty flexible with the day of the week.

BP: How do students benefit from joining the club?
MM: Students gain beneficial traits from learning to lend a helping hand, to just being more generous. Interact Club helps students mold themselves into good citizens of Woodbridge.

BP: Is there anything else you would like to add?
MM: Nothing much other than offering to join our club! Come to the next meeting and bring as many friends as you want. I believe together, between me and Mrs. Montes, and you guys as members, we have the potential to make a difference with a helping hand.