Letters For Rose Profile

The community of Woodbridge is a big and busy place. It has schools, businesses, and everything in between. It also has lonely elderly people in our senior homes. However, our branch of the Letters for Rose organization looks to change that.
Kevin Modeszto
Modeszto and his Rose officers (Grande-Holness-Peralta-Obando)

Letters for Rose is a group run by high school volunteers that distributes letters and art to nursing homes. It is by no means just in Woodbridge, but this article will be profiling the Woodbridge chapter led by junior Sofia Holness. 

“We (Me and my sister) were both going through the pandemic,” Holness said. “I feel loneliness, but I can’t imagine how they (elderly people) feel…that might not be surrounded by people.”

“I wanted to be as involved as I could be, and I wanted to continue that,” added Holness. 

Despite the title of chapter head seeming intimidating, Holness says it is “not a stressful job.”

The Rest of the Team

However, Holness is not the only person running the club. She is assisted by Social Media Head Giannah Obanado, Head of Transport Brianna Peralta, and Coordinator Shara Grande, as well as second-year advisor Mr. Modeszto

“Letters for Rose…has a strong executive committee,” said Modeszto, “..this group of leaders made it very easy for me.”

A sentiment echoed by everyone interviewed was that Letters for Rose is an amazing group of people to work with. The officers are all friends, and the environment shows it.

“The environment is very happy and friendly,” said junior Pauline Monsanto, “…it has been fun making cards with everyone and also seeing everyone’s artwork.”The officers share a mutual goal to expand the club both in the amount people coming and the number of senior homes their work goes to. As told to the Perspective by Grande and Peralta, they just work with Saint Joe’s, but the goal is expansion.

As Sophia Holness would put it, “I love the people I work with, I love my executive board, I love Mr. Modeszto, and I love my club.”