Find Out More About The Academic Competition Club

Trivia fanatics will be pleased to learn that Woodbridge High School has its very own Academic Competition Club. The club is advised by Mr. Peitz and they meet every Thursday in room 112.
Umar Chohan
Two most significant trophies according to Mr. Peitz.

Trivia fanatics will be pleased to learn that Woodbridge High School has its very own Academic Competition Club. The club is advised by Mr. Peitz and they meet every Thursday in room 112. Members meet to practice trivia for future tournaments.

About Academic Competition Club

A typical meeting at the Academic Competition Club starts with Mr. Peitz discussing upcoming tournaments they must prepare for. Then, a list of trivia questions is projected onto the board. Club members use these questions to train their knowledge of each trivia subject that will be used. There are many different subjects that the students will be quizzed on, like science, history, pop culture, and literature. These are just a few, but everyone will have a topic that they are most knowledgeable about. 

Senior club member Kevin Modeszto’s strongest academic subject is “history, by far.” Practicing his favorite subject in ACC is a major reason why he wants to become a history teacher in the future. 

Junior member Angelise Benimadho’s best subject is pop culture, “There’s surprisingly a lot of pop culture questions and things that cater to our generation.”

The club trains to compete against other high school ACC clubs in tournaments. Some of the tournaments are online, where students answer questions live on a trivia website, but there are a few in-person tournaments every year. These tournaments usually take place in different high schools, anywhere in the tri-state area. 

More About Mr. Peitz

Mr. Peitz, the club advisor, has lots of experience in academic competitions under his belt. When he arrived at WHS, the ACC coach was retiring, so Peitz assumed his position. 

“I went to a different high school in this district in the 1990s and I was part of their academic team,” said Peitz. 

Because of the history he has with academic competition, he immediately wanted to become the new coach of this club. Peitz has coached and managed ACC ever since, which amounts to about 10 years. 

Any WHS students who enjoy competing academically, or simply have a lot of information about a certain subject, are encouraged to exercise their knowledge and attend the next ACC meeting on Thursday, November 2nd, or see Mr. Peitz for details.