JROTC Honors Veterans

JROTC took part in many events, highlighted by the Veteran’s Day Parade
Fiona Van Tassel
The JROTC cadets participate in the Veteran’s Day flag raising ceremony. Photo from the Barron Perspective Instagram

On Veterans Day we take the time to acknowledge and appreciate what the men and women of the United States Armed Forces have done. They are the defenders of American democracy and democracy across the world. Since the days of Washington fighting the British for independence, Lincoln ending slavery in the South, and supporting our allies overseas, it has come down to the Americans who decided to dedicate their lives to the defense of the American Experiment.

On November 12th, the Woodbridge Veterans Day parade took place down Main Street in downtown Woodbridge. The groups that took part include the Woodbridge High School JROTC, the Woodbridge Township Veteran Alliance, American Legion Post 87 & 248, and multiple VFW Memorial Posts.

By walking down Main Street in Woodbridge, they showed their support to the Veterans of the United States Armed Forces. As per tradition, it was all recorded being its 16th annual celebration. For the JROTC, it would be led by Colonel Parker and First Sergeant Behnke, both of which are veterans themselves. 

Other Ways JROTC Honored Veterans

Three days later, the Woodbridge High School JROTC would continue to show support for Veterans by attending a flag-raising ceremony in front of Woodbridge High School. Along with them, the band played the national anthem and the color guard was there with the flags of the United States and of New Jersey. A single class of JROTC cadets would also be attending along with the Principal Mr. Osborne.

Later that day, the cadets who attended the flag-raising ceremony also visited students at the Ross Street School. The Ross Street School would be having its own celebration for Veterans Day with veterans in attendance. After the color guard marched for the children outside, the Cadets would enter the school and stand in formation listening to a speech given by the school’s principal. Awards were also given out to the veterans in attendance including Colonel Parker.

“I thank everyone here for attending and letting the people see that we’re people too.”, said a veteran in attendance.