Bring It On

A Review by P. N. Grant

Alexandra Check, Karli Huber-Sharkus, and Brittney Crawford (left to right) perform in this year’s musical, Bring It On.

Mr. Lynch and Mr. Terrell picked another young adult musical production for this year’s Senior Play, Bring It On. The title refers to nothing less than a military provocation by rival groups of high schoolers who would rather cheer than just about anything else. Created by the same team that brought us In The Heights last year, the story’s setting is urban-contemporary with some great writing, music and electric connections to Woodbridge High School.

Over 100 WHS students, and a dozen more graduates, helped amass this production. Bring It On did well on Broadway so we can see that Lynch and Terrell pick winners. But a winning performance requires some winning talents. Karli Huber – Sharkus killed it as Campbell, the suburban princess cheer master, who falls under the devilish scheme of a bitter rival, played wittily by Mia Reiser. Regal Brittany Crawford, the outgoing captain of regal Truman High cheerleaders, sets the tone in the first scene by threatening our heroine if she steps out of line. ”Someone’s entire life could be shattered in seconds!” Skylar sneers. Reiser’s “Eva” follows close behind for the chance to trade exact places with the life she would kill for. This clever deceiver secretly tries to sabotage Karli’s character by getting her transferred out to the more citified Jackson High.

When “Campbell” meets the new school she finds not a cheerleading squad, but a hip-hop “crew”. Deliciously played by Daniela Campos, “Danielle” leads the dance crew at Jackson High but she “Ain’t down with no pom poms.” Her peeps are just in it for fun. Her number “We Ain’t No Cheerleaders” popped with high hilarity. This ain’t no “Rah!Rah!” she belts with a dance number that the Truman cheerleaders’ moms might not have allowed. And how about those dancers: Alerie Sebastian, Alexis Krow and “Danielle’s” right hand girl played by Kenesha Freeman showed years of rehearsals and practice pay off. The boys led by Ralph Nunez, who perfectly mastered his lines, Devin Van Dross, and John Hemmans, proved that hard work on the stage shines through.

As the mystery unravels we can see that the Cheerleader Devil has been up to some tricks, by secretly delivering mono, and failing grades, to her rivals. Mean girl! Before her big “reveal” scene though the audience gets to see CeCe Resto as Bridget deliver what might have been the most dynamic character of all. She proclaims “It’s All Good” with exhilarating help from Xavier Rivera and Kenesha in a hip-hoppin’ “It Ain’t No Thing.”

HamzahSyed added stability, Ally Check showed her lineage, but the best line of the night just might have belonged to Xavier. As Eva rants about how she “brought it on,” her poison plan spills out, she kisses the ill-gotten trophy and we hear the thunderous disgust in: “EWWWWWW!!!”

Hats off to Mr. Kohn leading the band, Lisa Romero for the voice coaching, and Semantha Tirone for choreography. Members of the Competition Team and Spirit Squad added authenticity to the requisite cheering scenes, and final thanks to only about 50 or 60 others for making this memorable production. Bring It On brought a great big hit to Woodbridge.