Woodbridge Meets Mr. Monaco

Monaco
New History teacher Mr. Monaco pauses for a picture as his students finish up the day’s notes

By: Catie Nadler

The Barron Perspective had the opportunity to sit down with Mr. Monaco, one of the newest U.S. History 1 and 2 teachers at Woodbridge High School, to get to know him and how he feels about his first year of teaching.

Barron Perspective: What college(s) did you attend? Is teaching what you originally went to college for?
Mr. Monaco: I attended Bloomfield College. I did go to college for teaching right off the bat. I knew I wanted to be a teacher since a young age. While at Bloomfield College I was also a 4 year member and 2 year captain of the baseball team where we won a conference championship.

BP: What made you want to become a teacher? When did you decide to become a teacher?
MM: I always enjoyed history and always knew I wanted to become a history teacher. I was very fortunate to have numerous teachers throughout my life that made huge impacts on me. These impactful teachers that I had as an adolescent are what really made me want to
become a teacher.

BP: Is this your first year teaching? If not, where did you teach previously?
MM: This is not my first year teaching. Last year I taught 6th, 7th and 8th grade Social Studies at Carteret Middle School.

BP: What are you most looking forward to about your first year at WHS?
MM: I’m looking forward to further getting to know my students and to see their progress as the school year goes on.

BP: Are you coaching any sports or advising any clubs?
MM: I do currently coach wrestling and baseball, but not at WHS. Hopefully, I will be coaching for the Barrons in the near future.

BP: What was your favorite class in high school?
MM: History–of course.

BP: Do you have any hobbies?
MM: I still love to play baseball and I currently still play in a men’s league. I enjoy working out. I enjoy going to concerts and sporting events, especially Jets, Yankees, Knicks, and Devils games. I enjoy watching anything that makes me laugh, I love to laugh. I also enjoy to cook and learn new recipes.

BP:  Do you have any pet peeves?
MM: Nails on the chalkboard. I am very happy my class only has a dry erase board!

BP: Where would you most like to travel to in the world?
MM: Italy for the scenery, but mostly for the food.

BP: What is your favorite movie?
MM: Anything starring Will Ferrell.

BP: What has been your favorite part of WHS thus far?
MM: The great staff I have the pleasure of working with every day, the tremendous amount of pride I see the students and staff take in being a Barron, and the laughs and moments I have shared with my students.

BP: Is there anything else you would like to add?
MM: I would just like to wish everyone a happy and healthy school year. I am thrilled to be a Barron! Let’s make this year great!