Mulligan Breaks School’s All-Time Point Record

by Julia Golden

Captain Bobby Mulligan takes the puck through the neutral zone against the Old Bridge Knights at the Woodbridge Community Center.

Senior Bobby Mulligan went into the 2015 hockey season with one goal in mind: to break the all-time assist and the all-time point records, both of which were previously set by Eddie Parfitt in his final season two years ago. With the support of his coach, Mulligan did just that.

Mulligan, with 14 years of hockey experience, was named team captain this season, his fourth as a Barron, and played center and right wing. Bobby went into every practice and game with the mindset that he would achieve his goal. “I prepared by setting the goal in my mind at the beginning of the year and never gave up,” he said.

On an otherwise nondescript Saturday night, on the road against an overmatched Brick Memorial team, and with the season coming to a close, Mulligan had two things on his mind, winning and breaking the point record. On February 7th, Mulligan rewrote the record book, netting two goals and earning an assist for three points on the night. It was enough to tie and then break Parfitt’s records.

Mulligan ended the season with an even 79 goals and 79 assists for 158 points throughout his high school career. He had 19 more assists and 10 more points than Parfitt, who only played for three seasons.

“I felt a great source of accomplishment and it felt great to see my parents proud of me, too,” Mulligan said. He expressed that it was a great feeling to know that he accomplished something that he has strived for since the beginning of the season.

Mulligan said he would not have been able to make this a reachable goal without Coach Rotella or Assistant Coach Stawicki. “The coaches told me to just make the record mine and gave me every opportunity to set it. I just want to thank them for the great four years,” he said

Congratulations to Bobby Mulligan on the records, and a memorable finale to four great years of Barrons’ Hockey.