School Reacts to Coach Nyers’ Retirement

by Carly Kjersgaard

After a successful career as the head coach of the Woodbridge High School football program, Coach Nyers has decided to retire, shocking many of his student-athletes.

The school’s Athletic Director, Mr. Ward, has for years expressed his gratitude for Coach Nyers’ hard work. “He worked with his team as much, and as hard, as he could. And you can see how it paid off, too.”

Senior Stephan Lally said he was surprised by Coach Nyers’ announcement. “I was sitting there and I couldn’t believe it. He’s been coaching forever. It wasn’t even real.” Lally, however, wasn’t the only player with this opinion. Many were shocked, but they were happy in light of the coach’s long career at Woodbridge.

Despite the initial shock, Lally said he feels fortunate to have completed his high school career with Coach Nyers. “That felt great,” Lally said. “I’m sure the underclassmen wanted that, and I feel kind of bad. But at least the seniors can enjoy that.

Junior Alex LaGrippo is one student who will not be able to end his high school career with Nyers. “I didn’t want him to retire going into my senior season,” the defensive tackle said. “There’s going to be a new way of doing things my last year, and some new faces, but I want to thank him for the things he’s done and he’s been a good coach.”

As Coach Nyers takes his victory lap through the halls this year, there is no doubt that he has left his mark on Woodbridge football history. The Barron Perspective would like to congratulate Coach Nyers on his long and successful career.