Barrons Crown King, Queen at Homecoming Festivities

Tyler Smith and Jennifer Carfagno.
Jennifer Carfagno and Tyler Smith.

by Katia Gomez

Visitors poured into Nicholas A. Priscoe Stadium on October 31st, 2014 to witness the Barrons’ long-awaited homecoming, which took on new meaning in the all-new stadium, dedicated before the game began. For seniors, the real action began at halftime, when the 2015 homecoming king and queen were crowned.

In front of a packed stadium, the 2014 homecoming king and queen, Brad Rayborn and Mariel Herrera, waited patiently to greet the court, who were nominated by teachers and voted for by the senior class. The homecoming queen nominees were Mary Aube, Jennifer Carfagno, Leslie Class, Melissa Soto, and Ashley Quintin. The nominees for king were Delisson Bueno, Michael Carfagno, Nicholas Figueroa, Stephan Jules, and Hamzah Syed.

Ultimately, Rayborn and Herrera crowned Jennifer Carfagno and Tyler Smith as the 2015 homecoming king and queen amidst a sea of applause and cheers.

No matter the outcome, the nominees were happy to have been recognized. Homecoming Queen nominee Melissa Soto said, “The winner [is a role model] that everyone should look up to. And not only [is] the winner [a role model], but also the rest of the nominees.”

Homecoming is a long standing tradition in which teachers, current students, and alumni take time to reflect on what a great school and what great students are here at Woodbridge High School. Though the journey may be coming to an end for the seniors, there is still plenty of time for the seniors to wrap up their tenure at the high school.

“I think graduating will be an exciting thing in life, but also a tough part,” said homecoming king Tyler Smith. “I’ll miss my friends, school, and especially teammates. I’m going to miss all the teachers who helped make my high school career a good one, so leaving them would be sad.”

The Barrons enjoyed a comfortable win that night, besting the St. Joseph’s Falcons 14-7. Congratulations to Tyler and Jennifer, as well as all the nominees.

WHS Homecoming nominees (L to R): Mary Aube, Ashley Quintin, Melissa Soto, Leslie Class, Jennifer Carfagno, Tyler Smith, Mike Carfagno, Hamzah Syed, Delisson Bueno, Stephan Jules, and Nicholas Figueroa.