Basketball Team Amazes School with Winning Streak

by Jose Gomez

The Woodbridge High School varsity boys’ basketball team shattered the expectations of their opponents this season with a 13-game winning streak.

The streak, which started with a win on January 5th against South Plainfield and ended in a loss against Sayreville on February 9th, will stand as one of the proudest achievements in the basketball program’s storied history.

“It was something I’ve never done before,” said senior Travis Kukoly, “and it was great to be a part of a remarkable streak.”

Junior Harry Rutkowski believes that the team’s success and their winning streak were due to how well they played together. “The team chemistry definitely changed from last year. Last year we were kind of separate, [but] this year we all stick together like brothers,” Rutkowski said.

Trajan Pritchard, a junior who played in 10 of the 13 games, said, “The biggest part of continuing a win streak is not playing better; it’s about sticking together with your team the whole time.”

With that in mind, the young team will look to capitalize on their success next season, though there is much to celebrate from the 2015-2016 campaign. The team ended the season second behind Sayreville in the GMC White Division Conference, with a record of 10-4. The overall record for the season was 20-6.