Pets For Christmas: The Do’s and Don’ts

Briana Mena
picture taken from google

As the Christmas season approaches, extensive thinking into the perfect gifts to get one’s family begins. For some people this gift can be a new phone or gaming system. For others it looks something like a small furry friend that joins your family for life. On the surface this may seem like a great present and amazing addition to the family, however this also raises a big controversial question; Should pets ever be a Christmas gift?

Pets are a huge responsibility which makes giving them as a gift very difficult. If the recipient of the pet or the household is not prepared for an animal it can cause problems. Before giving someone any kind of pet one must be sure the animal can thrive in the environment with the person receiving it, especially because the person receiving the animal is missing getting the chance to pick it themselves. 

When giving a spontaneous gift like a cat or dog it is also incredibly important to know you are prepared for the commitment. You cannot welcome a pet into your household if you are not ready. This is why a parent should always be involved, even more so if the gift is meant for a younger child. Obviously the young girl or boy cannot take care of a pet by themselves so it is very crucial a parent is willing to make the long term commitment of caring for said pet. 

The Do’s and Don’ts of Giving a Pet as a Christmas Gift: 

Do

• Heavily research the kind of pet you are interested in 
  • Make sure the given pet is a right fit for its recipient
  • Have parental involvement in any and all decision making
  • Prepare your household for its newest member 

Don’t

• Shop. There are so many animals in shelters in need of homes, when getting a new pet try to adopt!
  • Make any decision without researching the dogs needs 
  • Commit to anything without a parent or guardians permission  

Although gifting someone a pet can pose some risks, studies have shown that these risks never outweigh the love an animal receives when gifted. The ASPCA recently conducted a survey to educate individuals on people who acquire pets as gifts. The survey found that 96% of people who received pets as gifts thought it either increased or had no impact on their love or attachment to their new pet. Ultimately, as long as one is educated on the commitment they are making and follows the do’s and don’ts of gifting pets, a new furry friend can be a perfect gift this holiday season.