Sweeney Todd Mystifies Audiences

Sweeney Todd was a story about a man returning to his hometown to look for his lover and a show full of amazing singers, acting, and twists.
Kevin Modeszto
Julien Catalon and Sophia Holness during a performance of Sweeney Todd.

“Mrs. Lovett’s Famous Meat Pies” were the best snack of the night. Sweeney Todd was a story about a man coming back to his hometown to look for his lover, but it turned out to be so much more.

The musical following our two main characters, Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett, was full of amazing singers, wonderful acting, and so many twists.

About the Play

This play follows Sweeney Todd (Julien Catalon) who, back in the day, was known as Benjamin Barker. He returns after being incarcerated by Judge Turpin (Jeffery DeLeon). He now is looking for his wife under the new name Sweeney Todd. 

Early in his journey, he met a woman named Mrs. Lovett (Sophia Holness). Soon after meeting Lovett, Todd sets up his barber shop above Mrs. Lovett’s pie shop. He plots revenge against Judge Turpin and anyone else who has caused him harm. Mrs. Lovett helps Todd, using her pies to hide the bodies by using the victims as filling.

This soon turns sideways with Todd commiting more gruesome acts as time goes on. He grows more and more bloodthirsty and becomes sloppier with his act. A certain character starts to catch on after a certain murder of Signor Pirelli (Mateo Oloriz).

The musical has a running time of two hours and 30 minutes with 32 songs. The play’s execution was wonderful. During certain songs actors and actresses were lined up along the aisles, which added to the suspense of the play and made you feel uneasy. The fear was really in the air of the whole theatre.

The costumes were beautifully designed especially for the Beggar Woman (Olivia Spano). All of the tattered fabrics came together and looked realistic. The scenic design was also done well considering the space we have to move items around. The actors used this to their advantage with the help of their stage managers (Jenna Resta and Jethan Esquivel). This play was beautifully done and Mrs. Lovett’s meat pies were delicious.