Time Change Creates Homecoming Confusion

WHSbarronpride
The Homecoming court awaiting nomination (L-R) Bikramjit-Dylan-Julien-Jeffery-Osei-Jazelin-Allie-Riley-Olivia-Kayleigh

Already a very stressful event, the homecoming game and halftime ceremony that was originally scheduled for Friday, September 29 was changed to Saturday, September 30 at 12:00 p.m. 

“It was a stressful last minute change but I ended up being happy about it because it was pouring at 7:00 on Friday so it all ended up working out and everything happens for a reason,” said senior co-advisor and co-planner for the homecoming game, Mr. Casey. 

Since this change was very last minute, all involved wondered if the preparations for the game had to be altered. Luckily, the event went off without a hitch, and Woodbridge was able to crown a new homecoming King and Queen.

“I was worried about the kids in the homecoming court having work or other activities but it all ended up being fine,” said Mr. Casey. “I already knew that Jazelin won and I was stressing because she was late and we found that out during the game and that was the only stressful part but other than that the plans went fine”

As the new homecoming king and queen nominees were walking onto the field, the tension was rising and everyone began to feel apprehensive. It was then announced that Jazelin Vargas and Osei Boateng had won and were crowned the new King and Queen.

“I was shocked and scared. I didn’t think I was going to win,” said Jazelin Vargas. “I felt great and relieved, like a weight was taken off of my shoulders” Said Osei Boateng. 

We all began to wonder if the new King and Queen had to alter their preparations for this ceremony. This change caused a lot of different feelings from the students and some parents because it was such a last minute change. 

“Yes it did, I had done everything Friday that I would have done Thursday, I didn’t go to school on Friday because I had to get ready,” said Jazelin. 

Osei stated “It really did because everyone that I told took off from work that day and then when we heard the news only three people were able to make it.”