(France Leaves Russia) On This Day – December 14th

Michael Thomas, Editor

On this day, December the 14th, in the year of 1812, the Napoléon Bonaparte led French army began their retreat from Russia after a failed invasion of the nation, leading to the downfall of his first reign in France.

As Bonaparte led his army through Europe, taking over places and implementing people loyal to him to serve, his army was as strong as ever. One nation in his way of total European domination was the Russian Empire, who were not keen over the idea.

Bonaparte’s invasion of Russia was a failure for a number of reasons.

For one, when it was clear the French would win a battle, the Russians would burn the nearby crops and supplies, leaving the French with little to no food.

Another reason for why the invasion failed was that it didn’t end by winter, notorious for being hostile in Russia. Ill equipped for such extremes, a lack of clothing, food, and fighting led to the death of around 300,000 French.

Not long after getting to the Russian capital of Moscow, the city would be on fire, destroying the majority of the city, as already most of the city’s population had left, no one could put it out. Low on supplies and with little to reap from Russia, Napoleon began his retreat back to France.

This would beginning of the end of Bonaparte’s first rule, being exiled to the island of Elba (off the coast of Italy), he would later escape it, returning to Europe, amassing an army, gaining victories against his opponents until a final defeat at Waterloo, leading to his exile to Saint Helena (in the Atlantic Ocean between Africa and South America, more remote than Elba), where he would die (New World Encyclopedia) (Students of History) (Russia Beyond) (History) (Smithsonian Magazine) (Foundation Napoleon).

To read more daily facts and tidbits and about Bonaparte, see the Barron Perspectives “On this Day Archives” webpage and articles such as “On This Day – November 9th (French Revolution)”.