ASL Raps to Stay at Library

Two sign-language enthusiasts face off in a heated battle. Rapping through sign has allowed them to release their anger in a peaceful manner.

Vincent Snee, Reporter

Woodbridge High School’s American Sign Language Club hosted a free clinic for people interested in learning sign language for beginners on the main floor of the Woodbridge Public Library last Saturday.

Things were going well until they took a sudden turn for the worse due to the excessive number of people participating. An afternoon of silence and education turned into aggressive shoving and violent slapping of wrists between the people in line.

The library staff had to escort the majority of guests out of the building who had been causing problems. The day had been spoiled.

The ASL club leader, Josiah Stevens, challenged a member of the library staff, Rosaline Reyes, who happened to have been apart of the ASL club when she was in high school, to a sign language rap battle. The winner of the battle would remain in the library.

Reyes accepted Stevens’ challenge. Once all the guests had left the library the rap battle began. A flurry of slapping hands and air swooshes took place.

“Its funny to think you can compete with me. You’re just fans, so don’t think you can handle my hands,” signed Stevens.

As silent insults were shared between Stevens and Reyes, the people who understood Reyes and Stevens broke out in gasps and laughs  while those who didn’t pestered club members to explain what they meant.

“You really wanna mess with me on my ground? I suggest you turn around before I make you look like a clown,” signed Reyes in a series of angry hand motions.

The opponents exchanged final statements with seemingly intricate gestures to close out their battle. Tension filled the air so thin that it could be cut with a knife. Once the silenced seized decision had to be made.

When there was no discernible winner, both sides agreed a true winner would be named in a coin flip. As fate took the wheel, the coin landed, giving the victory to the Reyes. Stevens and the rest of the ASL Club sadly had to clean up the library and were escorted out.

Shortly after, the ASL Club announced they will now hold a weekly silent rap battle amongst themselves to prepare for a rematch against the librarians and gain their street cred back. Anyone willing to take on the challenge of signing fire with the club is welcome, but are warned of challenges they face upon participation.