Social Justice Club Promotes Peace at WHS

By Olivia Williams

The Social Justice Club will host their annual Peace Week from April 3-7, 2017, during lunch periods, to promote peace at Woodbridge High School.

Past Peace Weeks have included outdoor games and activities from blowing bubbles, hula hooping, and tye dying shirts to meditating. The most popular activity the club instituted was lunchtime yoga, which sparked such an interest that a yoga club was started under the direction of physical education instructor Ms. Vuksanovich.

Additionally, the Social Justice Club has held a number of fundraisers and spread awareness for a variety of causes. Most recently, they circulated a peace petition aimed at promoting a peaceful and safe environment in the school. A bulletin board in the main hallway displays how many students and teachers have signed and promise to contribute to peace.

Club members are happy with what they have accomplished in the past, but many look optimistically to the future to see what else they can conquer.

One of the program supervisors, Ms. Zadigian, hopes to advance on the progress made in previous years concerning the promotion of peace and unity within the entire student body and community.

Club president Pierrelee Claude, senior, mentions that Peace Week’s main goal is to bring students and teachers together to show “that we are all one community, and we respect one another.”  

This year’s Peace Week will have similar activities to previous years, with yoga, meditation, outdoor recess games, and, of course, lots of free stickers and other items. There will be opportunities to tie-dye shirts for five dollars, and a silk screen option also available for an additional two dollars.

Peace Week is another way for the club to spread awareness–especially with the recent stream of current events, Ms. Zadigian adds. She hopes that students will come out energetically as they have before and use the opportunity to express peace and happiness between one another. Any students or faculty with questions should contact Ms. Zadigian.