• Spring Musical Sweeney Todd Wins Best Overall Production at the Carteret Marquee Awards

Freshmen in Science Research Look to Make a Change

by Nick Bradshaw

Woodbridge High freshmen are taking advantage of all the Science Research course has to offer. With their innovative projects and competitive nature, they’re entering competitions and science fairs around the state.

The Science Research class at Woodbridge High School, taught by Ms. Clarke, offers an advanced study of science to hand picked students who excel in science subjects of all levels. The class gives the students the opportunity to learn independently, and perform experiments that they create themselves.

“They teach me as much as I teach them,” said Ms. Clarke, who enjoys teaching the intensive course which runs on the A/B schedule. This allows the students to for the duration of the school year, developing projects and working through the scientific method.

This year’s freshmen have been particularly studious in their efforts, and had the opportunity to enter their projects at The New Jersey Junior Science & Humanities Symposium at Rutgers University in late March to compete for scholarship money, as well as recognition from a panel of judges. Projects include, amongst others, how fish react to different environments and feeding patterns; and how shoe soles affect the curvature of feet.

The students worked hard on their experiments, most of which take months to fully research and complete. Miles and Malik George, freshmen at Woodbridge High School, say the work is far from simple. “There is a lot of research that goes on before actually starting the experiment,” Malik said. “You need to know what you’re doing before you start experimenting.”

The freshmen students have dedicated their school work and time to the class, looking to improve the way science is perceived, and its relevance today. With any luck, they’ll continue to conduct good research through their high school careers and into college.