Hess to Take Over School Store

by Sabrina Carbone

The success of the WHS school store has completely skyrocketed since John B. Hess, CEO of Hess Corporation, became its proprietor.

Hess initially came to Woodbridge High School to watch a basketball game in support of a relative who plays on the team, when he stumbled upon the modest school store. For years, the business was run by Special Ed teacher Ms. Huber, who conveniently sold school apparel, stationery supplies, snacks, drinks, and even ramen noodles to students.

Under Hess, what started as a fundraiser for the school is slowly shifting into a multimillion dollar business.

“I got a rush the moment I walked in that store,” Mr. Hess said. “I know business. I eat business. I breathe business. I felt business when I walked in that place.”

Unfortunately, as with all businesses under new ownership, changes were made, and Ms. Huber was very sad to hear about her demotion from manager to cashier.

“The school store was kind of like my masterpiece, you know? It’s been pretty nerve racking witnessing the change in the way the store operates. They put me in this outrageous uniform, along with the rest of us. He’s really determined to–” Ms. Huber said but was quickly interrupted by Mr. Hess telling her to get back to work.

As a hands-on owner, Hess has already remodeled the store and reworked its flow. He intends to expand into the auditorium while making the store look more like a Hess convenience market.

To match the classic Hess colors, a truckload of green carpet was ordered for the school store. So much was left over that it was used in some classrooms.

So far, his plan seems to be working, with profits skyrocketing for the first quarter, and projections for Q2 looking favorable over last year.