• Spring Musical Sweeney Todd Wins Best Overall Production at the Carteret Marquee Awards

Monsters Terrorize the Lunch Rooms

Ms. Sacco's AP Bio students observe specimen.
Ms. Sacco’s AP Bio students observe specimen.

by Monicka Young and Zach Ng

Thursday, March 12th was a tranquil day. When the bell rang, signaling third block at Woodbridge High School, Ms. Sacco’s AP Biology class was in the process of completing an experiment they had been working on for three days. No one anticipated the result to be so horrific, not even Frankenstein from Mary Shelly’s 1818 novel.

It all began when Kwadwo Boateng, a junior, volunteered to be a guinea pig for a class experiment. The students’ intentions were to develop an antidote that would cure irritability in the skin. However, a disturbing silence ensued after Yousef Maged, grade 11, applied a green mixture to Kwadwo’s face. Their classmate was no longer himself.

Yousef panicked when he saw the aftermath of his actions. “Our idea was to experiment with acetyl CoA, a stimulant that would eradicate the bacteria within the epidermis,” he said. “I did not expect it to seep into his cranium and alter his brain nerves…he would not listen to us anymore.”

Suddenly, Kwadwo became a creature straight from a generic science fiction movie. With quick haste, the Monster knocked down the doors and dashed towards room 125 in search of food. The surprised students fled their lunch tables in fear. The Monster was sad he had no friends to sit with, and no cliques that he could fit into.

The Monster approached the terrified lunch staff, who defended themselves by throwing stale hot dog buns and fake, processed chicken nuggets. He could not handle the quality of the food, and after consuming the meals, he justifiably vomited on the floor.

The action, according to eyewitness Michelle Makar, senior, is a trendy practice among the high school population. Evidently, it’s commonplace to leave trash and garbage on the floor  of the cafeteria as a way to show appreciation for the custodial staff.

After vomiting, the Monster made its way to the vending machines. Two students from Ms. Sacco’s class followed discreetly to keep track of their disaster. Senior Adeel Ahmed had been given the antidote from Ms. Sacco, and junior Autumn Byfield tagged along on the mission.

As the Monster was attempting to purchase Doritos from the vending machine, Ahmed recalled, the bag got stuck. He violently pounded on the machine so he could savor his overpriced chips. Seeing a golden opportunity, Autumn and Adeel heroically splashed the antidote onto the Monster’s face, which was a combination of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, commonly known as water.

Fortunately for Kwadwo, Ms. Sacco’s mixture was successful in countering the harmful effects of the prior experiment. Kwadwo was relieved. “I am thankful, and my face feels oddly soft and refreshed.”

Room 109 will not forget to take the necessary precautions for their next experiment. Kwadwo cannot be blamed for his behavior in the lunchrooms. After all, they can bring out the monster in anyone.

Students observe monster in Ms. Sacco's AP Bio class.
Students observe monster in Ms. Sacco’s AP Bio class.