• Spring Musical Sweeney Todd Wins Best Overall Production at the Carteret Marquee Awards

AP Students to Celebrate History in Gettysburg

by Catie Nadler

Advanced Placement U.S. History I students from Woodbridge High School and John F. Kennedy High School will have the opportunity to visit the famed battlefields at Gettysburg in May thanks to the hard work of Mr. Sacco and Mr. Soccodato.

The idea stems from Mr. Soccodato, the Social Studies supervisor for the Woodbridge Township School District,  who thought it would be a good experience for Advanced Placement students to see the town of Gettysburg for themselves. So, he invited Mr. Sacco’s AP students along for the ride.

It enhances students’ education to see the town in person as opposed to learning from a textbook, especially with the importance of the battle of Gettysburg, a sentiment not lost on Mr. Sacco’s students. “In truth, there is only so much learning that can take place inside a classroom versus actually going to the site and seeing the location where the figures stood,” said sophomore Mehdi Lemdani.

And why wouldn’t the students want to see an area steeped in history from one of America’s most pivotal moments? As Mr. Sacco explained it, “It’s the turning point of the Civil War. Understand that the Civil War was probably one of the most important events in our country’s history, and Gettysburg is considered one of the most important battles. If it had gone the other way, the entire war could have changed, and our country’s history would have changed.”

The students are also eagerly anticipating the trip, which, according to sophomore Jeff Tantow, will, “enhance our understanding and knowledge of the battle of Gettysburg, and give us a feeling of what it may have been like fighting on those fields during the Civil War.”

Tentatively, the students, from Mr. Sacco’s AP United States History 1 course and Mr. Soccodato’s Syracuse United States History 1 block zero course, will leave Saturday morning at 6:00 in order to arrive around 9:00 in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. From there, they will check into the Visitors’ Center and watch a film on the Civil War and the Battle of Gettysburg.

Then, the group will have the opportunity to visit the Gettysburg museum and see the famous Cyclorama painting, which is longer than a football field, about four stories high, and depicts the third day of the battle. After that, there will be a two hour bus tour of the battlefield complete with a tour guide.

After going to Pickett’s Buffet for dinner, they will meet with a Lincoln impersonator, followed by a ghost tour of the town. The students are expected to return to Woodbridge around 11:00 at night after a long and educational day.