• Spring Musical Sweeney Todd Wins Best Overall Production at the Carteret Marquee Awards

Block Zero Comes to WHS

Ms. Winard instructs her Block Zero SAT Prep course.

by Gianna Mehes

This year, Block Zero made its move into everyday curriculum at Woodbridge High School.

Block Zero is a ninth academic period that offers AP Environmental Science and SAT Prep before the start of the official school day. The course runs for 45 minutes each morning for the entire school year, from 7:00 to 7:45 AM.

It was first introduced so “our students in Woodbridge Township, and Woodbridge High School specifically, could be more competitive with the best high school students and programs throughout the state,” explained Vice Principal Mr. Connelly.

“By allowing students to take an extra class, we’re stressing as a district the importance of academics, giving students an opportunity to diversify their experience with classes they would otherwise not be able to take.”

The class is suggested to students who may have conflicts in their schedules, and who would possibly be interested in the courses provided, which involve few prerequisites to enroll.

There were no problems getting Block Zero started, said Mr. Connelly, as the current District Administration is “very supportive of new and innovative ideas.” Previously, a Block Zero course tested last year at JFK, which ran successfully and furthered the opportunity to offer such courses at Woodbridge High School.

Last school year, Woodbridge ran a “pilot” Block Zero course, Digital Presentations, during the final marking period as a way to determine if students were “fully committed to coming into school forty-five minutes earlier every day and getting here on time, while seeing whether students continued to take the class seriously as they were still held to the same standards of other classes they took.”

“Because of the courses that we offered, students jumped at the opportunity to take a [Block Zero] class,” Mr. Connelly said. Currently, there are approximately fifty-five students enrolled in the program.

Teachers of the classes have nothing but high regards for the program. “It is an excellent opportunity for additional instruction that does not interfere with regular course scheduling,” said Mr. Bunch, a Block Zero teacher for SAT Honors Math.

“As with most assessments of alternative approaches to accomplishing goals, its success is completely dependent upon those who are implementing that strategy and those students who are a part of it,” Mr. Bunch said.

“I believe Zero Block is one of the many creative academic opportunities that Woodbridge High School offers our students,” Mr. Connelly said. “As an administrator I am thankful for the School District for allowing us the opportunity to offer the creative opportunity to our students.”

Melody Arvizu, a junior who is also taking SAT Prep, said, “[Block Zero] is good, just different from the normal four classes a day. It’s helpful, but it is an extra two classes.”

However, there are also students who do not feel as though Block Zero has helped them. Rebecca Wagner, a student in the SAT Prep course, said, “I don’t get enough sleep because of the class. I don’t feel as though it has helped me as much as I had thought or hoped it would.”

One would think that having a class in progress while other students bustle around hallways in the morning may be a distraction, but according to Mr. Bunch, the commotion “only seems to have a serious effect when administering a test.”

Wagner noted that, while she doesn’t get distracted during Block Zero, it has distracted her in other ways. “I get really tired and start to fall asleep in other classes and throughout the day,” she said.

However, Mr. Bunch states that students take the class seriously, are wide awake, and actively participate, suggesting the program has been successful thus far.

And Mr. Connelly concurs with his assessment, saying, “We are hoping to expand Zero Block. We’ll offer other electives [next year] before school. We’ll call students down that wanted to take the course and say ‘We know you wanted to take this class, would you be willing to come in at seven o’clock to take it?’ and see what they say.”

Overall, opinions on the courses vary between the students and faculty. Nicole Belenski, a junior currently enrolled in Block Zero’s SAT Prep course, appreciates the opportunity for scheduling flexibility, saying, “I would like to take another Block Zero class again [next year] if it is a class that I want to take. I never have enough room in my schedule, and this gives me the opportunity to take an additional class.”

Mr. Bunch, however, is waiting a little longer before passing judgment. “The class has specific goals that cannot be completely assessed until the end of the year,” Mr. Bunch said, “However, an honest, current prediction is that it will be very successful.”

Echoing a similar sentiment, Mr. Connelly said, “Personally, I feel it has been a success. The vast majority of students that decided to challenge themselves with the Zero Block course have benefitted from it and have committed to getting here on time. But until we start to see grades, we won’t really know.”