Homework Club Offers Peer Assistance to Determined Students

by Brittany Sa

When English teacher Ms. Washington realized that students were in need of additional assistance in their academic classes, she decided to found the Homework Club, which offers peer tutoring after school in the second floor D-wing.

The tutors are dedicated members of the National Honor Society, Language Honor Societies, and Freshman Mentors, who work with faculty advisors to help fellow students with their homework. “[It] is a beautiful thing,” Ms. Washington said, “to see kids take the time to help each other.”

Theodore Wagner, a committed senior involved in the National Honor Society, Freshman Mentors, and Spanish Honor Society, said he and his fellow tutors “…genuinely want to help because they want to see people like them succeed.”

In addition to Ms. Washington and an army of tutors, a total of eleven teachers from various disciplines have gotten involved, lending their expertise, and their time to facilitate supervision. Those faculty members are Ms. Zeitz, Ms. Montes, Mr. Bunch, Mr. Switek, Ms. Winard, Ms. Gamble, Ms. Sacco, Ms. Thurlow, Mr. Grimes, and Ms. Oputa, as well as Guidance Counselor Ms. Cuzzola.

The Homework Club is open to all students Mondays through Thursdays from 2:45 to 3:45 in room D225.