Scholarship Opportunities Available for Prospective College Students

by Brianna Constant

As the spring semester gets under way, seniors planning to attend college are looking for ways to make tuition more affordable. To that end, the Guidance Department at Woodbridge High School has some helpful suggestions.

The obvious solution is to apply for available scholarships, which are available, primarily, to high school seniors via the internet. Students are recommended to seize scholarship opportunities for the simple fact that there is money being offered by philanthropists and organizations that can help pay for college.

Students should note that, in general, there are two different types of scholarships: need-based and merit-based. Need-based scholarships are for students with a lower family income. They require tax information and FAFSA forms to be filled out during the application process. According to guidance counselor Ms. Ferrara, these scholarships are “definitely worth looking at.” She also said that merit-based scholarships, which are based on high grades and SAT scores, are “harder to come by.”

Scholarships can be awarded to students for a variety of reasons, including GPA, rank, ethnicity, and gender, though the criteria used to evaluate applicants varies based on the scholarship.

To find applicable scholarships, the Guidance Department recommends students to search such websites as FastWeb, BigFuture, and CollegeBoard.

According to Ms. Ferrara, the Scholly App is an easy and convenient way to be notified of upcoming scholarships. The application allows individuals to type in their name, grade, location and interested major. From there, the app gives students a list of available scholarships and their deadlines.

After applying, Guidance describes the process as a “waiting game.” There is no fixed time on when a student will hear back from the person or organization to whom they applied, so it is advised to be patient and persistent.

Mr. Kane, the Guidance Department chairperson, encourages students to seize scholarship opportunities “for the simple fact that they are out there and available; money is out there for the taking.” Indeed, it never hurts to try.

Additional information about upcoming scholarships can be found by checking the school website’s Guidance tab, or by following @BarronsGuidance on Twitter, which is consistently updated with scholarship opportunities.