Students Fall to Faculty in Basketball Fundraiser

by Carly Kjersgaard

Every year, Woodbridge High School’s upperclass students form a team for the Student vs Faculty Basketball fundraiser in hopes to put an end to the staff’s undefeated record. This year’s match, contested on Friday, February 26th, was a close game, but the students fell in the fourth quarter.

Senior class advisor Mr. Switek foreshadowed the faculty as the victors prior to the game when he said, “I think the faculty is perfect.” Many teachers, as well as coaches, felt extremely confident in the staff’s ability to maintain their flawless record in the days leading up to the game.

As the game drew nearer, all eyes were on the sign-up sheets outside of room 303, particularly on the faculty team, where Mr. Sienkiewicz, a former guard for Brown University’s basketball team, was listed. With Sienkiewicz having received the Scholar-Athlete Award in 1998, as well as the Thomas Hoagland Award for Unselfishness and Commitment in 1999, he has been a feared competitor in the game for all student teams he has faced.

When it came time for the game, however, there was a slight shift in spirit. The juniors and seniors arrived with their game faces, ready to change school history and take the first win against the faculty. From difficult rebounds to covering their men, the students certainly had their work cut out for them.

As the game progressed, seniors Niyam Shah and Merdan Olevic shot three-pointers that left the crowd in awe. As was expected, Sienkiewicz and previous guard for Woodbridge High school, Coach Jacovinich, proved to be difficult competition, but fellow staff members and students were impressed by the tandem’s skill. By the end of the first half, Shah and Olevic had the student team winning by a score of 64-57.

After halftime, the tension in the gym had spectators on the edge of the bleachers. Thunderous applause and shouts echoed, and the question became all the more difficult to answer: who would win?

Robotics teacher and game announcer Mr. Hoyer was confident in the staff’s ability to win. His expectations after the faculty tied the game in the third quarter were simple: “I’m sure the teachers will blow it out.” And that is exactly what happened.

During the fourth quarter, very seldom were the teachers found not capitalizing on opportunities to score. Each foul shot and lay up was shot with more concentration than the previous three combined. The motivation to remain undefeated by the students lead the faculty to a 77-64 victory in the end.

The students were slightly disappointed in the outcome, but knew they put up a good fight. Senior player Joe Shaw said, “We could’ve improved on our shot selection and kept moving the ball, even looking for the open guy.”

While Joe’s opportunity to defeat the staff has come and gone, the junior class has another opportunity to be victorious in their senior year. The expectations are high, and the craving for a win has gone yet another year without being satisfied.