Phys. Ed. “Serves Up” New Game

by James Dunn

Spikeball, a game described as the “next great American sport” by its website, has arrived in Woodbridge High School’s physical education classes, drawing the interest of students and teachers alike.

Not only did Spikeball appear confusing to students at first, but it was generally unknown. “I had never heard of Spikeball before the creators came to our school,” recalled senior Spencer Dubay, who, like many of his fellow students, has come to enjoy the simplicity of the game.

Coach Calhoun, who pitched the idea of bringing Spikeball to Woodbridge High School to Mr. Ward, the school’s athletic director, described it as “a game similar to volleyball but with a trampoline, not a net, that allows people of different athletic abilities have some team fun to improve eye-hand coordination and fitness levels.”

“I played it over the summer several times and loved it. I thought students would enjoy playing it indoors/outdoors,” Coach Calhoun said. Eventually, a successful demo day at Woodbridge High School led Mr. Ward to purchase ten sets of Spikeball for use during Physical Education classes.

“Upon first seeing the game, we all said it looked boring. After playing it, we loved it,” said Dubay. Ultimately, one of the most unique games in the world might end up replacing volleyball as students’ go-to sport in Woodbridge High School gym classes.

In the game’s official format, a two versus two game, teammates must tap the ball to each other, setting up one another for a spike, similar to volleyball, into the trampoline and at the other team.

“The interesting thing about Spikeball is that there are no bounds,” said Dubay. “Many things are possible within the game.” The lack of bounds also separates Spikeball from volleyball, allowing for a wide range of plays to be made, which keeps the game interesting for the students.

Rapidly growing within the school, the game’s popularity has extended globally, with over one million players worldwide, professional and amateur, according to the sport’s website.

“I saw Spikeball pitched on ‘Shark Tank’ to get someone to invest in it and thought it would be a great game for WHS PE classes,” said Coach Calhoun. On that episode, Spikeball successfully closed a deal with investor Daymond John, giving the game national T.V. exposure and much needed capital, ultimately paving the way for the game to come to Woodbridge High.