Working ‘Nine to Five’ Proves Successful for Cast, Crew

by Amanda Liska

After the last curtain call, after the props have been put away and the sets dismantled, Mr. Lynch can finally sit down to determine the success of the school’s annual spring musical.

This year’s production, ‘Nine to Five,’ ran from March 17th to 20th in the auditorium. According to director Mr. Lynch, the play grossed between $12,000 to $15,000 but netted $8,000 to $10,000 after expenses, which include renting the microphones, sound equipment, props that the crew could not build, lumber and paint, costumes that the cast rented, added up to $5,000.

The point of doing a school  musical is not to make a lot of money,” Mr. Lynch said. “The point is to expose the performers and audience to the art of musical theatre. And to make enough money to be able to do the next one.”

Keep in mind that although the musical makes a good amount of money, the rights to direct next year’s play can cost from $4,000 to $5,000.

One issue the cast and crew faced this year was that Colonia High School performed their musical during the same weekend, forcing would-be attendees to decide between one musical or the other. Although Woodbridge High School had a slightly lower draw than usual, the musical still had a decent crowd, bringing in roughly 1,500 people over its four-day run.

For now, Mr. Lynch and Mr. Terrell have a short reprieve until they begin planning next year’s production, which Mr. Lynch said will be an adaptation of The Addams Family. During that time, they’ll have an opportunity to take stock of their achievements from this past season.

“I’m proud of those who contributed, and I’m proud to direct and produce the shows, along with Mr. Terrell,” Mr. Lynch said.