• Spring Musical Sweeney Todd Wins Best Overall Production at the Carteret Marquee Awards

Coach Grasso Says Goodbye

Coach Grasso.
Coach Grasso.

by Katie Forbes

Throughout her years as coach, the Girls’ Cross Country team has had successful seasons under Coach Grasso. This year their record was an impressive 7-1, a positive, if not bittersweet ending to Grasso’s coaching career.

Coach Grasso made sure to help–to the best of her abilities–all of her girls into becoming successful runners, and successful people. The current seniors, who have been with Coach Grasso over the past four years, have an exceptional dual record of 28-4. Temi Odukale, senior, said, “[Ms. Grasso] taught us never to give up.” Odukale was the team’s number one runner and earned the first spot on the White Division All Star Team this year.

As a teacher first, Grasso always made sure to believe in her runners and push them to be the best they could possibly be. “She made me the runner I am now. She had a lot of faith in me,” said junior Maggie Kariuki.

Although they will be getting a new coach, the girls still see success in the future. Five of the top seven runners from this season will be returning next year, so it seems probable that the girls will do well. “Our team is made up of many great girls and they will go even further next year,” said Odukale. Coach Grasso is also positive that the 2015 Cross Country team will do well.

During her tenure at Woodbridge High, Grasso was also a physical education teacher and led the popular afterschool paddle ball club. She has left an impression on WHS and has had many memorable moments. Just four years ago, she coached an undefeated cross country team.

Recently, Ms. Grasso transferred to Colonia Middle School to become an adaptive physical education teacher. After retiring from coaching, her ties with Woodbridge High not be forgotten. “I have coached at WHS for over 22 years and have loved it! I have great memories,” she said.

Undoubtedly, the Cross Country girls will always remember their coach for her kindness and encouragement, and WHS will forever recall Ms. Grasso as an inspirational Barron.