Overview of the UEFA Euros 2024

Looking into the biggest tournament in International and European soccer, hosted in Germany.
@EURO2024
The final draw for the Euro 2024 tournament.

In the world of soccer, many notable tournaments take place, giving teams across the world, or more specifically in this article, Europe, a chance for glory in front of the eyes of millions. Undoubtedly, the UEFA Euros give players all across Europe a chance to showcase their talent and win one of the most prestigious trophies in European soccer. 

For people new to soccer or new to the many kinds of tournaments that happen, the Euros, run by the Union of European Football Associations, (UEFA) is an international tournament that lets national teams exclusively in Europe, (meaning teams like Argentina, Canada, Brazil, USA, and others do not participate in this tournament,) fight in a group stage battle which only lets the top two countries move on into the Round of 16 where they will finally have two countries go head to head in the hopes of winning the 2024 UEFA Euro.

Fans can agree that Group B with the countries of Spain, Croatia, Italy, and Albania, as well as Group D having the Netherlands, Austria, France, and the playoff winner A, will be the most entertaining groups to watch which promise great competition with some of the best countries in European soccer. 

The Barron Perspective spoke with Coach Anthony Clarke, WHS’ soccer coach to see what he thinks of the 2024 European tournament and who will shine above the rest.

Coach Clarke is planning to head out to England to watch some of the matches for the England national team, as well as a lottery for a chance to see more matches in person. Coach Clarke is no stranger to this tournament which began in 1958 and has been ongoing ever since, he mentions that his favorite year was Euro 96, which was hosted in England. That was the year England lost to Germany in penalties, where Clarke said, “England should’ve won.” 

I think that France, the two-time World Cup and Euro winners will take home the Euros, who show a great squad filled with talented players with the likes of Kylian Mbappé, Didier Deschamps, and Olivier Giroud helping France sweep through the qualifiers and hopefully the entire tournament. Coach Clarke predicts that Jude Bellingham and Harry Kane in the England squad this year will win the Euros against France. This year of the Euros is sure to be great to watch, as some of the best players in the world will face off in Germany for another year of the UEFA Euros!

View Comments (1)