Swim Team Welcomes Coach

by Alyssa Mata

The Woodbridge High School Swim Team welcomed ESL teacher Mr. Morrison as their new head coach at the start of the season, which instilled and revitalized the team in its attempt to establish itself as a perennial threat in the GMC.

Former college swimmer Coach Morrison saw the opportunity to become the new swim coach and took it, crediting his sister as “a huge impact” on his decision. “I was actually inspired by my sister, who is a great swimmer and a huge help when it comes to making practices,” he said.

His team is lead by co-captains Nicole Pangiochi, junior, and Matthew Martinez, senior. “A captain is someone the other swimmers can go to,” Coach Morrison said, “a person who helps others, listens to the team and coach, and makes great effort to be there. They are also someone I can trust.”

As a captain, Pangiochi’s main goal this season is to bring her team closer together, which is a top priority for the new coach. “My key to a successful season is to work together towards the common goal.” She also wants everyone to have an “opportunity to swim and work towards success in a personal and teammate way.”

After last season’s 3-7 finish, Martinez is looking to move forward. “The way in which we prepared to become a better team is through the trust and respect that we give one another to help each other succeed,” he said.   

Both he and Pangiochi feel this is the time for new opportunities to help everyone reach their goals. They said they are very proud of their team so far and look forward to having a great season.

“I am so excited to be the swim coach,” Coach Morrison said, “and love working with each and every swimmer on the team.” The Barron Perspective wishes the best of luck to the swim team for a successful season.