Ice Hockey Team to Join GMC Rivals

by Jack Golden and Courtney Cholewa

The Barrons Ice Hockey team will not have enough players to fill a roster next season due to the number of seniors graduating, and the lack of new players coming up. Before the start of the 2017-2018 season, they must find another team in a similar situation to keep alive a tradition of winning.

The players understand the need, and those returning next season want the opportunity to compete, including goaltender Adam Godfrey. “If we want to stay competitive, we would have to join with someone. I just don’t know who we are going to join with,” he said.

The practice of joining two teams is called co-oping. To receive the approval to merge teams with another school, a letter requesting permission must be submitted to the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, or NJSIAA, which governs New Jersey high school athletics. Then, the co-op must be approved by the Board of Education and the athletic conference, in this case, the Greater Middlesex Conference, or GMC.

This is not a unique or difficult process, considering that many teams in the GMC hockey conference, such as the Colonia Patriots and JFK Mustangs, have co-oped before.

Speculation has it that the Barrons will co-op with Colonia and JFK to form a Township team, which would be a neat, easy solution to the problem, but school district lines do not dictate where the Barrons may wind up. Two possibilities for consideration are Old Bridge and Sayreville.

While the process of co-oping isn’t difficult, many would believe that getting along with new teammates and former rivals would be, but that is not going to be the case.

Returning next year along with Godfrey are juniors Travis Beni and TJ Evan who are excited and looking to make a strong impression upon their new teammates, whoever they may be. “Obviously, it’s going to be something new, but hopefully we can look forward to the best new teammates. Hopefully we can get off to a good start,” Evan said.

Beni knows that playing with new teammates will come with an adjustment, but he’s optimistic for a successful season. “It should provide some obstacles: we got to meet new people, and… redevelop chemistry between the whole team. Going from a small group to a big group should be interesting, but it will be fun. Hopefully, it will make our team better,” he said.

To the team’s head coach, Mr. Rotella, co-oping means that the future of the program is not in jeopardy. “I am optimistic and look forward to the challenge,” he said.

Until a decision is made, which may not come until the summer, all anyone can be is optimistic, including Woodbridge’s Athletic Director, Mr. Ward. “I am very proud of Woodbridge Hockey,” he said. “We have great players here and great coaches. I am interested to see happens next year.”