• Spring Musical Sweeney Todd Wins Best Overall Production at the Carteret Marquee Awards

Barrons Bowling Competing for the Title

by Nick Bradshaw

Bowling is one of the most overlooked sports in Woodbridge High School due to poor attendance at their matches, despite having the most championship titles out of all Barron sports. Yet, with a new coach and strong play, the bowling team has suddenly re-emerged as one of the best teams in the county.

As a former player, Coach Small brings expertise and leadership in her first year as head coach of the 17 player co-ed team, who Coach Small says can contend at a high level of play, adding, “We will be competitive in every match and tournament.”

To get them there, the players are taught a simple philosophy, which Coach Small strongly believes in. “I say to the players, ‘Make every day count, and practice hard everyday.’”

Captain Carly Kjersgaard, junior, said her team is better than the record suggests, and that the team can compete for a championship. “We have a pretty good chance,” she said, “we just need to bowl as a team and stay focused.”

The bowling team came off an upset victory against number one seed South Brunswick, which gave the Barrons momentum as they headed into the the state tournament, trying to add to their nine existing titles.

The Bowling team has always been competitive, and they look to make a serious run in the state tournament.