An Insight on The Saffron Alliance club

Looking into one of the many cultural clubs at WHS.
Matthew Mazzulla
The Saffron Alliance’s Flyer in the stairwell.

Many clubs are run at WHS, some focusing on video games, hobbies, helping with homework, and many other things.

Today, we are looking into the Saffron Alliance club, run by its teacher advisors, Ms. Johal and Mrs. Ahmed. The Barron Perspective interviewed Ms. Johal to get a better understanding of what the Saffron Alliance is all about for people interested in joining the club or finding out more about it.

The Saffron Alliance is a cultural club, celebrating Indic heritage through various activities. The club observes different holidays like Diwali, Lohri, and Holi. Club members also facilitate school-wide participation by hosting mehendi tables, cultural food fundraisers, door decorating contests, and after-school celebrations.

The teacher advisors for this club are Ms. Johal, who teaches AP Statistics, as well as SAT Prep Math and Algebra 1. The other teacher advisor is Mrs. Ahmed, who teaches environmental science as well as AP environmental science. Ms. Johal founded the club last school year and created the foundation for many of the activities the club has been planning this year, along with some new ones.

Anyone interested in joining this club can have the opportunity to take part in fundraising. Taking part in planning and hosting Indic celebrations and parties, and engaging in various activities such as creating mehendi designs and rangoli decorations. Several field trips provide a chance to explore Indic culture outside of the school.

“One of the most exciting aspects of this club,” Ms. Johal stated, “Is being able to share and educate others on the various cultural aspects of Indic Heritage. The food, music, artwork, and traditions are so varied, and there is always more to learn and experience!”

One of the club’s biggest achievements was its Guru Vandana ceremony. The celebration provided a platform for students to honor their teachers for imparting knowledge and wisdom to them.  During this celebration, the members did traditional dances for their educators. As well as having refreshments, goodie bags, and other tokens of appreciation.

If you are interested in joining the Saffron Alliance, join their Google Classroom via the code: s37lubp.