‘Nine to Five’ Plans to Shine at WHS

by Amanda Liska

This spring, Woodbridge High School will present Nine to Five as its annual musical, staging four shows from March 17th through 20th.

Based off the 1980 comedy, Nine to Five is a story about three secretaries who get revenge on their terribly sexist boss. English teacher Mr. Lynch, the musical’s director, thought the script relevant 36 years later. “There still are bosses who are unfair, and even in 2016, women are still paid less than men.”

After deciding they’re fed up with the harassment from their boss, the show’s leading ladies decide to kidnap him as revenge. “Who hasn’t had an obnoxious supervisor or boss?” Mr. Lynch said. “It’s hilarious to see them kidnap him.”

The production has been working tirelessly to memorize lines, create sets, and bring Mr. Lynch’s vision together. Working on the play has been a spectacular experience for some cast members. “We’re all in harmony,” sophomore ensemble member Gabby Jones said, whose love of theatre has reportedly only grown since her freshman year.

The same goes for senior Luis Aguilera, who plays Dwayne, the husband of one of the female leads. “So far, the experience has been great,” he said. “I have met tons of nice people throughout the years and even met some new people my senior year. The show is coming along great and the musical numbers are better than ever. I’m really excited for this production.”

Tickets will be available for purchase in March outside of the cafeterias during all lunches. The price will be 10 dollars in advance, or 12 dollars at the door.