Woodbridge Leads Prepare for Spring Musical

image1
The three leads for the spring musical 9 to 5 pose for a picture on the stage. (Left to right: Mia Reiser, Daniela Campos, CeCe Resto) (Photo: Catie Nadler)

by James Dunn

From March 17th to March 20th, Woodbridge High School will be putting on a production of Patricia Resnick and Colin Higgins’ 1980 hit musical 9 to 5 in the school’s auditorium. The Barron Perspective had the chance to speak with three of the production’s lead actresses, seniors Daniela Campos, CeCe Ann Resto and Mia Reiser, whom Director and English teacher Mr. Lynch describes as “a pleasure to direct.”

Barron Perspective: How much experience do you have in theatre?
Daniela Campos: I’ve been in plays since my freshman year, I’ve been in a total of 7-8 plays/musicals.
CeCe Resto: I’ve been dancing since I was three, but quit when I was three. I started acting [immediately after quitting].
Mia Reiser: I have done a total of eleven shows including this one. I also went to theater camp for four years, and besides the high school shows, I have been a part of the Woodbridge Community Youth Players Productions for the past three years.

BP: Have you been a part of the school play before, and if so, when and what roles did you play?
DC: Yes I have. I’ve been part of the ensemble, a judge, a secretary, a cheerleader and a hair salon owner. They’ve all been from small roles to bigger roles but I’ve loved every single role.
CR: I started my freshman year in the Drama Club’s fall play called The Laramie Project. I played Reggie Flutie as minor lead. I have done every musical since my freshman year.
MR: Yes, I began doing the plays freshman year, and this is sadly my last high school show. I was in Thoroughly Modern Millie and In the Heights as an ensemble member, and last year I had the role of Eva in Bring It On, which was very fun to play the villain. And this year I was cast as Judy in 9 to 5, which is incredibly exciting!

BP: Who are some of your influences in the theatrical world?
DC: I love Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway alongside Lin Manuel Miranda. Extremely creative and amazing actors who have all been in plays before.
CR: Kristin Chenoweth, she’s played The Good Witch in Wicked on Broadway. She has the same kind of personality I wish I could have on stage.
MR: Barrett Wilbert Weed is the first one that comes to mind. She was in Heathers the Musical and Bare and the way she performs is very real and relatable, which is something that I admire and would like to bring to my own performances.

BP: What are some of your favorite films or plays?
DC: I love the Devil Wears Prada, Julie and Julia, and The Last Holiday.
CR: I actually like horror films. My favorite movie is Silent Hill: Revelation.
MR: My favorite musicals are the ones that have a lot of action in them. I recently saw A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder, which I’m pretty sure is my new favorite. The music was fantastic, but I think what really sold me were all of the sword fights!

BP: How do you prepare and practice, outside of rehearsals, for your role?
DC: Well, I practice…a lot. I lock myself in my basement and play the songs that I have solos in, and I sing along with them until my voice starts to hurt. I also make sure to listen to the little nuances and fix whatever needs improvement. I also do this with my lines.
CR: I mainly sit in my room and repeat my line until I memorize it, [and] the lines before it so I know when it is coming.
MR: Practicing outside of rehearsal involves a lot of reading and quietly repeating the lines to myself, which makes me look a bit crazy when I’m in public. I spend a lot of time in front of the mirror trying to match the appropriate face with the words. And having someone else to run lines with is always helpful.

BP: Why do you enjoy acting and performing?
DC: I feel that in real life, it’s hard for me to be confident and charming. I wish I were like that in real life. And when I go on a stage, I’m allowed to be whoever I want. Also, I love to think about what others are thinking about, or what makes them tick. And with acting, I get to figure that out for different people.
CR: It’s just my passion. I love dancing and music. I love making people laugh, so I think acting and musical theatre is like a perfect combo.
MR: My favorite part about being in a show and performing on stage, as cheesy as it sounds, is being able to share this experience with so many people. Not only do I get the chance to bond with amazing cast members, but we then get to share our characters’ stories with the audience. Every night of every show is always completely different from every other performance. Even though we say the same lines, and do the same dances, every audience member will take something different from the show.

BP: Is there anything you would like to add?
DC: For people who are reading this, never stop doing what you love. I’m not going to pursue a career in theater. I’m actually going to study finance and foreign languages. But that doesn’t mean that I’ll stop performing.  One day in the future if you’re in NYC, stop by a jazz club or a Latin club and you’ll probably see me there singing in the center or being spun around by my salsa partner.
CR: I hope everyone enjoys the hard work we put into making this show as fabulous as possible. I encourage everyone to come and watch. Good luck to the cast and crew!
MR: I’m very thankful to be a part of 9 to 5 and I can’t wait to share our hard work with everyone!