WHS Teacher, Support Person of the Year Honored by WTEF

By: Jose Gomez

“If you want to know what makes a great teacher, ask a student,” said Mr. Modeszto, whom, alongside Ms. Salvatore, were honored by the Woodbridge Township Education Foundation this year.

The WTEF honors one teacher and one support person every year from each school in the district. Nominees are chosen by the school’s administration and a small group of teachers, then the principal decides the final recipients.

Mr. Modeszto has been a teacher in the Social Studies Department for 15 years. He said he was “honored, humbled, and slightly embarrassed” by the honor, and believes that there are countless qualities that define a great teacher.

“I work with tremendous people,” Mr. Modeszto said, “and I can’t walk down any hall in this school without running into colleagues who are equally, if not more deserving of this honor.

“Once we close the door to start the block and it’s just [the students] and you, it’s a great feeling. I love the fact that, at least in small doses, we can make [the students] as passionate and enthusiastic about the subjects that we are so passionate and enthusiastic about,” Mr. Modeszto said.

Mr. Kane, the Guidance Department chairperson, said, “Mr. Modeszto is by far one of the most dedicated teachers at Woodbridge High School. He’s here every day, he’s here for his kids every day, and he gives 100% into his lessons, which is obviously why he was chosen as Teacher of the Year.”

Mr. Modeszto did not hesitate to show his gratitude for winning this award. He said, “I want the administrators and staff to know how blessed I feel to be part of the WHS family. I want the students to know how thankful I am to have the privilege to do what I do for you guys every day.”

The second staff member honored, Ms. Salvatore, was also very grateful after winning her award. As a support person for the school’s special needs students, her activities include teaching them to ride a bicycle, exercising, helping them with school work, and teaching life skills.

“I was very surprised. It was awesome, and I owe it all to my great students and coworkers,” she said.

Ms. Grasso, one of Ms. Salvatore’s coworkers, said “[Ms. Salvatore] is very dedicated; not only to the one student she is assigned to, but to all the students in D23 and the other self-contained classes. She is very reliable, she’s understanding, she’s passionate, and she forwards her education beyond the classroom.”

Ms. Salvatore has worked at WHS for three years, and has been a support person since 2001. She believes that being a good support person involves patience, positivity, a good sense of humor, creativity, and being “willing to do absolutely anything.”

“I love the kids, and I have the best coworkers in the world. I love to go to work. I wouldn’t want to stay home, I would miss something,” said Ms. Salvatore.

The Barron Perspective would like to congratulate Mr. Modeszto and Ms. Salvatore on their awards.