A Deep Dive Into The New Exorcist Movie

If you are looking for a good, old-fashioned scare this Halloween season, look no further than the latest installment of the Exorcist franchise, The Exorcist: Believer.  
Universal Pictures – © Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
One of the posters for the movies advertising.

The original Exorcist film made in 1973 is an iconic film and one of the scariest movies of all time.  Believer may not be as scary or iconic, but it still delivers its fair share of terror and thrills. Believer does a great job of continuing the tradition of religious horror of the original while appealing to modern audiences.

The Exorcist: Believer follows the story of 2 girls, named Angela and Katherine. Katherine is a part of a deeply religious white family, while Angela is raised in a non-religious household. She is raised by her father, as her mother was tragically killed when she was born. Both girls head to woods one day after school, in hopes of contacting Angela’s mother. Instead they are possessed by a dark entity. As a result of their possession their parents are given an ultimatum to choose which daughter lives or dies. Viewers get to experience the struggles of religious belief and the power of love.

After watching The Exorcist: Believer, I believe this movie to be a moderate horror movie. It delivered average fright and showed a few jump scares. The movie followed the common concept of religious possession, but with a unique situation concerning two possessed girls. It was not the scariest and most fascinating horror movie out there, but it definitely is one of the best horror movies this year. 

Although Believer did not surpass the original exorcist film, it still delivered the basic standards needed for a horror movie. The best part about the film, The Exorcist: Believer, was the fact that it was a movie that made the audience feel fear and feeling disturbed. Most horror movies provide large amounts of jump scares, but fail to leave the audience feeling disturbed or terrified after watching. The Believer was most definitely able to do so. This movie had a few jump scares, but was able to terrify audiences during and after the movie. 

“I was left terrified after watching this movie. I had to double check my closets and mirrors before going to bed.” was stated by a fellow student after experiencing the film.

The Exorcist: Believer delivered a terrifying and disturbed feeling mostly due to the special effects and high quality technology. The cameras, editing and makeup used in the new movie were the main reason audiences were left scared. Each girl was given some of the best details and special effects makeup seen this year. 

The movie does an amazing job, showing the progression of possession. Increasing each girl’s makeup and actions to fit it in with the slow change. Not only was the special effects makeup well done, but the way the scenes were directed. Each scene constantly showed the disturbing effects of possession not only on the girls, but the family. The movie showed high focused scenes of each character throughout the movie, showing the toll of the situation. The directors and film editors were able to capture cinematic-ally pleasing scenes almost perfectly.

Although the film was a good horror movie, the ending was quite predictable. In almost every horror film, kindness and love seem to somehow overcome the power of the spirit and complete the exorcism.

The survivor of the exorcism ends up back at school, living their normal life, until the dark spirit reappears showing that it’s not over yet. This ending concept has been used in almost all religious horror movies and is beginning to bore others like myself. 

One student stated,“The ending wasn’t anything mind blowing, it was a predictable ending for any horror movie that comes out nowadays.” 

The Exorcist: Believer excelled in providing audiences with a classical horror movie that shows relatable people in terrifying situations. Although it might have had underdeveloped themes and overused concepts, the new movie was a great sequel to the legendary series. 

Most sequel movies aren’t able to beat the original film, as original movies are supposed to be the best and the standard for the series. The Believer was able to produce freight, questioning and mystery, leaving the audience wanting more, prompting another sequel.